Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Why I Quilt

This weekend I received the latest issue of Mary Janes Farm magazine. If you have not seen this organic lifestyle magazine before I suggest you check it out! This month there is an article entitled Why Women Quilt. This got me to thinking about why I quilt.



I know for me quilting is not about having a finished product- I know this because I really stink at finishing quilts! I love to start a project. For me, I believe it is about the process. I enjoy pouring over books and magazines trying to decide what to make next. I love looking at and touching fabrics, deciding which colors and patterns would work best for my next project. Learning new skills and techniques is a highlight for me. Once I get a few blocks made my interest often starts to wane- I've learned the new technique, I have a good idea of how the quilt is going to look, I'm on to the next project. To tell the truth, I don't even feel guilty about all of my unfinished projects. Probably, because making them, even though incomplete, has served its purpose for me.

When I am able to spend time regularly in my sewing room I am able to think more clearly and creatively. Big problems in my life have been solved while sitting at my sewing machine. I also find quilting particularly calming. Even after sewing an entire border on a king-sized quilt and then discovering my bobbin thread ran out when I started, I am still calm! There is something about the whirr of the machine, the feel of the fabrics and making something with my hands that lets me forget about my worries and the stress of the day. When I make the time to consistently work on my quilting projects I am much more at peace. My hope for all of you is that you have found something that you are passionate about and that brings some peace in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment