Monday, May 8, 2017

Getting Things Done

Oh how I love starting a project! Deciding on a pattern, perusing fabric choices, putting stitches in those first few blocks, I love it all! And then... just like that, everything comes to a screeching halt... and then I start another new project. I am a rock-star at project starts, but when it comes to project finishes I really, really stink. This year, I decided I needed to do something about that. I started by making a list. This is page 1 of I will not tell you how many, plus I am pretty sure there are more UFO's to be found in my sewing studio that did not make the list yet. (And notice I have crossed two things off already... WooHoo!!!)



After making the list, I chose 6 projects that I really wanted to focus on. I am only letting myself work on those 6 projects, well, except for a couple of block-a-week projects I have going on. Why six? I don't know, but I do know I get bored easily working on one project at a time. Six projects gives me enough variety I can take a break from one thing and work on something else for a bit. While focusing on a few projects, all at various stages of completion I can get a lot more accomplished but still stay interested. So far I have two finishes from my list! Take a look...




This was an Easter table runner I started years ago... not colors I would pick now, but I finished it right before Easter and it looks cute on my coffee table. Pattern is from the Ginger Cookie Company.




This project isn't quite as old. I started this a couple of years ago as a part of a quilt-along put on by American Patchwork and Quilting magazine. I backed it with flannel and used wool batting. It will be cozy next winter, but until then I will probably be putting it away as it is getting hot here in Kansas!

I am itching to start something new but I want to get at least five UFO projects crossed off my list before I start something different! We will see how my self-control holds out. If you have any tips, ideas etc. for getting projects finished I would love to hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment